Thursday, October 31, 2013

Testimony on All Saints Church Bombing

 Last month, the Christian community of Pakistan endured the single most deadly attack in Pakistan's history. On September 22, two suicide bombers attacked All Saints Church as church goers were leaving the Sunday service, killing over 130 Christians. The following is the story of Mr. Vicky Pervaiz, a young Evangelist in Pakistan and an eye witness to the bombing that rocked Pakistan's Christian community. In that attack, Pervaiz received several injuries in the attack and shared his experience with ICC.

"I am going to All Saints Church to offer my word of thanks to Jesus Christ for saving [me] and giving me a new life. I have personally experienced that God loves me and wants me to sacrifice my life to serve His people," Pervaiz told ICC.

Vicky Pervaiz, 24 years old, was one of the hundreds of Christians caught in the attacks at All Saints Church. He received several injuries on his right arm and other parts of his body as shrapnel tore through the fellowship of Christians gathered outside the church that Sunday.

ICC met him at the exit gate of Lady Reading Hospital in Peshawar, where many of the wounded at the church were brought to be treated. Pervaiz, with a bandage on his right arm, was leaving the hospital with a smile on his face stating, "I am going to the Church."

"I cannot move my arm due to the six stitches at the lower part of my shoulder and several other injures, including a one inch deep hole in my arm." Medically, Pervaiz was supposed to stay in the hospital until he fully recovered from his injuries; however he was reportedly asked by the hospital administration to go home due to limited facilities and lack of capacity accommodating the hundreds of victims from the bombing.

Recalling the Church incident, the young man said, "Everything is recorded in my mind like a film. I remember people were collecting rice from a corner and on the other side an elderly man was distributing sweets among children, a few children were running after each other. Whereas, Rev. Ijaz Gill was blessing men, women and children and others were waiting for their turn." He continued sharing painful moments just before the attack, "I was chatting with Mr. Naeem and his family, all of whom were killed the attack. Naeem was one of my best friends; I was congratulating his daughter for her excellent performance in the exams."

"I had just excused myself from Mr. Naeem to attend to a call on my cellular phone when I heard the sound of firing and attacking with hand-grenades. I fell down on the ground and after a minute there was nothing but smoke, blood and dead bodies on the ground."Pervaiz shook his head and after a brief silence continued, "The huge cry from the people around me made me almost unconscious. I was confused about what to do, however I picked up two children nearby and quickly ran away from the church. The whole compound of the church was full of blood, pieces of human bodies, several were unclothed."

The young man continued sharing his painful memories, "At first, I did not feel any injuries on my body, therefore I continued helping the victims. However, I suddenly felt unbearable pain in my right arm, oh, my God! It was bleeding heavily and soon thereafter, I lost my senses and was shifted to the hospital."

Pervaiz tried to control his tears, but he couldn't and told ICC, "Naeem, my friend's body was into two pieces and his wife and two children's dead bodies were lying near to each other."

"This incident has ended one full generation of several Christian families. It was a horrible, brutal and unforgettable day for us in Peshawar."

Affirming his commitment with his Christian faith, the young man said, "The terrorists think that we would stop proclaiming our faith or going to the church, however it is my witness that this incident has strengthened me more in my love of Jesus and in my evangelical work."       

"I love Jesus and may the souls of all the departed rest in Him and may all the injured people heal soon, Amen", Vicky Pervaiz asked God as he prayed to conclude his interview with ICC's Representative.
For interviews, contact William Stark, ICC's Representative in Pakistan:   

# # #
You are free to disseminate this news story. We request that you reference ICC (International Christian Concern) and include our web address, www.persecution.org. ICC is a Washington, D.C.-based human rights organization that exists to help persecuted Christians worldwide. ICC provides Awareness, Advocacy, and Assistance to the worldwide persecuted Church.  For additional information or for an interview, contact ICC at 800-422-5441.

No comments:

Post a Comment